Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Resurrection of Blogging for PLN

It has been a week since attending TRLD in San Francisco with the keynote speaker being David Warlick. Unfortunately, but (fortunately) for the attendees that the hard economic times had reduced the audience. During the break out session it was like having an intimate conversation with these talented and innovative leaders of educational and assistive technology.

It has been almost 2 years since I have composed a post. I have to admit that I had become frustrated with my lack of confidence in using these new tools. And not having time or resources available to help me through the rough spots.

Unfortunately, this is the second time that I am writing this post...as I had forgotten to save early and often $%#^$! So here I go again muddling through my mistakes.

It was exciting to learning about the new visualizations tools ie. www.wordle.net and www.visualthread.com that are available to engage reluctant writers. Also, I could think or several uses for the "Self-prompting videos with IPods" by Dan McNulty from the Indiana Patins Project. The short video clips are great for Transition student to use when learning vocational skills and students on the Autism spectrum to learn social skills.

When I returned to my school office, it was encouraging to learn that others are also beginning to explore and develop their PLN Personal Learning Networks. At my next dept. meeting I will be encouraging my colleagues to set up a Delicious account so that we can share and organize out bookmarks and resources.

As I have reflected on the past two years, I do see how it has been a slow, and frustrating learning curve for this technology immigrant. But now that I have seen interest springing up around me I have felt it is time to resurrect the old blog. To be continued....

No comments: